Topic of the day - WOW Moments

Jackie Fisher
on 3/22/12 10:50 pm - PA
   Considering I have only known you guys for a short period of time, I would love to hear your biggest WOW moments!! The one that you remember like it was yesterday and the one that stands out the most for you!! 

Mine would have to be one that happened a few weeks ago (so far). I have a 4 year old nephew who I adore immensely. He is so cute and so loveable!! Since he was born, I have loved holding him and telling him stories or singing with him to his favorite CDs, but it was always hard. Being fat and having short legs is a recipe for NO LAP! So, unfortunately, our time was always cut short by being uncomfortable since I would just hold him up against me since he had no where to sit. Well, about 2 weeks,  I was sitting at my mom's dining room table and we decided to play Candyland.. I picked him up, he sat on my lap, and then turned around with a big old smile and said, "Titi, I'm sitting on your lap!" It felt so good and it even brought a tear to my eye! We must have sat like that for an hour playing Candyland and Hungry Hungry Hippos! It was amazing!
"Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present."

-Jackie

Laureen S.
on 3/22/12 11:58 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Jackie,

As you said, you are barely beginning, but that one you speak of is priceless!!!

This so brings back memories and truthfully each WOW moment was something, some more precious than others, I think realizing that my ability to enjoy playing with my grandchildren was one of the pivotal ones for me, when I was able to hide with my granddaughter in her house, you know one of those Fisher Price/Little Tykes playhouses, the fact that I could get down on my knees, climb inside and hide in it, I remember sitting in it thinking, life today is good, I think I was about 2 years post-op when that happened.  There were the early ones, as mentioned the other night, the first time I could put a regular bath size towel around my body and it fall flat, not having to lift my butt to do my seat belt, running up and down the stairs in my son's house, which was something that prior to weightloss, my son commented on the fact that I would have problems with prior to surgery.  There was realizing that I could shop in most any store, that even to this day, I sometimes find myself realizing,oh that's right, I'm not a plus size anymore. I can wear white slacks, well not really, I get them dirty (lol). Oh and airplane travel, just prior to my surgery I had to travel to Germany, where my son was living with his wife, my grandson and they had just had my youngest granddaughter, who is going to be 5 in June, anyway, imagine the discomfort of sitting for 8 hours going and coming, I barely got the seat belt on without having to ask for an extender, the following year when I went to celebrate Avery's 1st birthday, was a totally different story, no one looked at me, like OMG, hope she is not sitting next to me. . .  then the biggest one was being at my best friend's son's wedding and her SIL coming up at the end of the event, saying goodbye to me and apologizing for not knowing who I was, her jaw dropped when I stated who I was, she said she was wondering the whole event who was that sitting at the table with my "friend from another mother". . .  that was one for the books and that same event, Jeanne's neighbor came up at the dessert table to say, he finally realized who I was. . .  now WOW moments are about recognizing things that I previously thought of as can't do it, and realizing I can do anything, if I choose to, my weight is not the issue.

Thanks for walking me down memory lane. . .

Hugs, L

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

lynnc99
on 3/23/12 12:01 am
So many....it's good to remember....

The first time I wore a pair of jeans. I had gotten a pair on clearance at TJ's for $6 pre op, but they wouldn't even pull up to my knees (size 18W). When those jeans pulled up....OMG!!!!

And a very recent one:

I work for Apple Retail. Last Friday of course was the launch of the new iPad. We opened the store early, so some employees had been at the store overnight (not me) and the rest of us were there by 7 am. Our mgmt. had a short meeting for all staff about how we would handle the launch and manage our line of customers, then we headed out the back door of the store. We jogged around the outer rim of the mall and cheered for our waiting customers, drumming up the excitement level for everyone. I jogged near the head of the line without even getting winded. Now THAT was amazing!!!!! WOW!!!!!
Laureen S.
on 3/23/12 12:08 am - Maple Shade, NJ
WOW for you girl, don't you just love that the WOWs are still coming!

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

bvohl
on 3/23/12 1:22 am
Jackie,

First of all, your WOW moment with your nephew just brought tears to my eyes!!! What a great thing for both of you. If you haven't already keep a log of your WOW moments by date and what you did!! I did that but on my old phone and when I got my new phone I didn't back it up before I upgraded so I unfortunately do not have my WOW moment list :-(

Some of the WOW moments that I remember:

being able to fit into a booth at a restaurant and not HAVE to ask for a table!
seeing space between my steering wheel and my stomach.
being able to cross my legs
being able to walk long distances without being winded and having to sit down to rest

I think my biggest WOW moment was when we took Deanna to Disneyworld for her 7th birthday. She had NO idea where we were going until we got on the shuttle to the park and they announced that we were headed to Disney World! The look on her face was PRICELESS! I was amazed how I fit into EVERY ride and was able to walk and walk and walk.... I knew at that point that I had made the RIGHT decision to have WLS!!

Keep those WOW Moments coming...

BTW, I did have two WOW moments on Wednesday. I had a Professional Day workshop with other music teachers in the district. One of the (male) teachers that I used to work with called me "Hey Skinny"! I was turning around to see who he was talking about?!?! Oh yeah,ME! He knew me pre surgery. I also spent most of the day with one of the other music teachers that I know pretty well since we worked on the curriculum together a few years ago. She said to me that I was doing a great job at keeping the weight off!!

At almost three years out, the WOW moments are STILL coming just not as frequently :-(

Have a great day!
Love, Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

Jackie Fisher
on 3/23/12 2:59 am - PA
Those are all so great!!

Hmm.. I never thought about how Disney would feel post op!! I used to live there and sometimes HATED to go with my friends because I would always opt out of rides I knew might not be comfortable and I would always have to stop and take breaks.. I might just have to start planning a vacation!! 
"Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present."

-Jackie

Sara E.
on 3/23/12 2:23 am - Pennsylvania Furnace, PA
I still have WOW moments.  Some of my favorites were...

Wow...When my son gave me a hug and said his fingers touched
Bigger Wow...When my son gave me a hug & could touch his elbows
Biggest Wow...When my son hugs me and tells me he doesn't remeber me being any bigger than I am right now

Wow....Jeans without an elastic waistband
Bigger Wow...Single digit sized jeans
Biggest Wow...Size 2 jeans

Wow...Having people not recognoze me
Bigger Wow...Seeing the look on their face when they figure out who I am:)
Biggest Wow...being thinner than people who teased or made fun of me when I was bigger...who's laughing now baby!

-Sara

Jackie Fisher
on 3/23/12 2:58 am - PA
Sara.. I LOVE your WOW moments!! INCREDIBLE!

-Jackie

musicaldonna
on 3/23/12 7:23 am - PA
Jackie,

Thanx for this post.  At almost 3 years out the WOW moments are not too many any more but it is good to remember.  The day I came home from Barix after surgery I could sit in the lawn chair and when I got up it did not come with me.  Being in the dressing room at Avenue 6 months post op and looking in the mirror and realizing that my butt wasn't there any more - stood there and sang "I don't got no booty".  First time I could fit a regular bath towel around me - wearing a bathing suit on the beach - being teased for crossing my legs so much.  This one may be a little TMI - when I was fat there were certain toilets that I couldn't fit on if they had the walker type thing on the side.  So nice that now I can go into any toilet and "do my thing"

Donna
Arlene E.
on 3/23/12 8:11 am - Philadelphia, PA

Jackie, great story about your nephew. For me being five years out I think it is important to remember these so I do not take things for granted. For me getting out of plus sizes was the best feeling. And when salespeople told me I was looking at sizes too big for me, it was hard to understand they were talking to me. Fitting into an airplane seat without hanging over onto other seat was remarkable. Running into people who didn't know me was thrilling. As you know I've traveled a bit since I retired from teaching and have enjoyed being able to keep up with others or even be more energized.  I feel like a "normal person" , not like someone who is struggling to act " normal" even though I carried an extra 100 pounds around.

Making regular exercise part of my life and not hating it still is astonishing to me. Who is this person who now goes to the gym 5 times a week?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views